[linux-audio-user] She's not a human being ("in your face-mix")

Esa Linna esa.linna at kolumbus.fi
Fri Jul 14 19:14:47 EDT 2006

Just finishing my new tune:
www.emvg.net/esa/shesnotahumanbeing.ogg

and here's a copy from my blog from MySpace:

My new song should have been a love song for my wife.
Unfortunately she
annoyed me for now forgotten reason (once again) and I wrote
a song for
our cat. Of course the lyrics in the chorus: "she's not a
human being,
she doesn't like Jeff Lynne, she's hairy all over the place"
could be a
perfect insult for my wife!

This song has been recorded in many sessions, first ones
many months ago
in our bedroom. Drums were made with absolutely great
software Hydrogen
and I played the bass & few guitars through Behringer Tube
Ultragain
MIC200 -preamp/di and added some distortion & simulated cab
"feel" with
great CAPS plugins. Keyboards were played with Yamaha
PSR-273 which was
brought by Santa Claus for my kids. They are still wondering
where the
hell their keyboards are. The keyboard solo inspired heavily
by Rick
Wakeman was played through MIDI & astounding soft synth,
ALSA Modular
Synth. Right now I have fell in love with Bristol, another
open source
soft synth for Linux.

Then some guitars were played with Behringer V-Tone Guitar
GDI21 - a
cheap but great sounding modelling preamp/DI. And then there
were the
vocals. I did millions of takes and it sounded everytime
like shit.
Finally decided to add "some" tube distortion from MIC200,
and now I am
mostly happy with it.

I noticed too that mastering and mixing the whole damn thing
should be
done by professionals. I am on my holiday, sun in shining,
sixpacks of
cold beer is calling for my name and I sweat in my garage
studio for
trying to make my song sound like Green Day's Boulevard of
Broken
Dreams. Well, I didn't manage to do that.

The mix you hear is in-your-face mix, with everything
cranked up so that
you can say bye bye for dynamics. But I am proud for the
song, and want
you to know that all of this wouldn't been possible without:

Linux & Mandriva Linux 2006
Jack (jackit.sf.net)
Ardour
Alsa Modular Synth
Hydrogen
Audacity
Jamin
LADSPA plugins like TAP, CAPS and some more
red wine
Fosters
Wojak
Okocim
Burgen Pils
Grafen Walder
Carlsberg
bratwurst
potato salad
mushrooms (for eating, you fools!)

and here's the lyrics (I know, they are bad - but purposely)

She came to my life one august day
and didn't like the songs I played
She ran and runs away from me
Far far away to maple tree

She's not a human being
She doesn't like Jeff Lynne
She's hairy all over the place

It's not a pretty thing to watch you eat
those poor little birds and their raw meat