[linux-audio-user] Looking for a special sound

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Mon Jul 17 02:06:10 EDT 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 13:51, Folderol wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to try to emulate a reed instrument rather like a clarinet
> with a slightly damaged reed, so that the effect is that it
> occasionally 'breaks' and gives a sort of squeak. Ideally this should
> be more likely to happen at higher velocities.

I'm not a synth sound user except for soundfonts for my keyboard.  So
can't comment on how to program a squeak.

I'll question and comment as a sax/flute player.  What type player
are you trying to emulate?  When I "squeak" it's me, not the reed.
And I think it is for most all players.  I know players that can play
horns that are total wrecks with reeds "fixed" with a cigarette lighter.
If they squeak, they make it fit; maybe even use it again.  A poor
player will stop playing or totally miss the line for a few measures
or longer.  What players do you want to emulate?

Or maybe the better question is, what comes after the squeak (and
before it)?  A good teacher once told me, "there's no such thing as
a bad note;  hit any note, any time; if it sound wrong, go to one that
sound better".

If the squeak sounds natural, it's some overtone.  If not, then it's
what's played next that counts.

Feel free to send me test squeeak ogg's;  I know how they sound for
real.  Done lot's of um.

Marv