[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

Thomas Ilnseher illth at gmx.de
Mon Jul 17 11:37:46 EDT 2006

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 7/17/06, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:

>> Studio

>> > Being ATA100 it's not the fastest drive out there but 400GB is
>> > certainly nice storage.
>> >
>> > QUESTION: Are you going with a single drive or will there be separate
>> > system and audio drives?
>>
>> Ach, I must answer your question with another question: Assuming I want
>> two drives, what special considerations should I make for them ? If one
>> is for audio work alone, does that mean it merely needs formatted and
>> I'll use it as recording space ? Sounds simple enough, but I've never
>> set up a system like this one.
>
> Yes. That's the idea. /dev/hdaX would hold Linux on multiple
> partitions. (root swap boot, etc.) /dev/hdc would be one large
> partition for nothing but the audio files and supporting stuff.
> (Complete Ardour song directories, etc.)
>
> Extra power from the power supply so don't skimp on that. Extra space
> in the case if you go internal. 1394 adapter, if one isn't built in to
> your motherboard, if you decide to go external. IF you buy a 1394
> adapter then try for 1394b instead of 1394a.
really ... i would go for eSATA instead if 1394b. usb+eSATA external
cases are cheaper
than 1394b external cases, eSATA capable SATA controllers are cheaper,
and it is faster
than 1394b.

ok, you might now say 800Mbps is as good 150MB/s, BUT: firewire uses a
totally different
(scsi-like) protocol to access mass storage devices, so the enclosures
use a rather high-level
firewire <-> ATA bridge. this one increases _disk access_ latencies, and
limits the bandwidth.

a ATA <-> SATA or SATA <-> SATA bridge is a fairly lowlevel bridge on
contrary, so you have no
problem with _disk access_ latencies and bandwith. it's just as fast as
if the disk was internal.

the only drawback is that linux currently doesn't support hotplug for
SATA. so you have to
plug / unplug while your PC is powered down. alternatively, you can load
/ unload the whole
SATA driver, this should give you some hotplug capabilities.