[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

Yves Potin yves_p at nnx.com
Mon Jul 17 11:45:20 EDT 2006

Le 17 Jul à 10:40, Dave Phillips ecrivait:

> Ach, I must answer your question with another question: Assuming I want
> two drives, what special considerations should I make for them ? If one
> is for audio work alone, does that mean it merely needs formatted and
> I'll use it as recording space ? Sounds simple enough, but I've never
> set up a system like this one.

        I have a drive exclusively for Ardour when I use it, with a single
partition. Soundfonts and samples are on the main drive, in my home
directory, and I record on the other drive. Also neither Qsynth nor
linuxsampler, for example, may access the drive I'm recording on.
        I have sda1 for the system (14 Gb), sda4 for my home (the rest of
sda), and sdb1, a single partition on the whole second disk, for Ardour
(and storage or backups eventually). I mount it on /data. And I' m very
confortable with ext3 ; after years using reiserfs, I realized quickly
that it's not very handy for audio.
        Finally, as they are SATA disks, each disk is alone on its
cable. This is very important, maybe even more with IDE drives.
        HTH,

Y.