[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question: update

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 15:17:00 EDT 2006

On 7/17/06, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The mobo does have a 1394 connector, but there's no need at this time to consider an external drive, I'm okay with the standard internal installation.
>
> Just for reference, most PC motherboards these days STILL only come with
> 1394a connectors(Firewire400).  If you were using it for an external HD
> or RAID I would definitely recommend 1394b(Firewire800)
>
> But like Mark I have seen no problem against eSATA, I just haven't used
> it myself to comment on it, but technically that SHOULD be better than
> Firewire for storage I believe.  Again though, haven't used it so I cant
> really comment on it.
>
>        Seablade

NOTE: I actually run 95% of my external audio on a couple of old 1394a
drives. For most things, including Ardour up to so many tracks, they
work fine. If you buy the right 1394b drive case it will support 1394a
interfaces also so you can use it with the built in connector for now
and go to 1394b later if desired.

There is nothing wrong with 1394a, 1394b or AFAIK eSATA for doing
audio on an external drive. They will all work and work fine. If I was
going to buy a new controller to do this stuff I'd go with 1394b.
Thomas would go with eSATA. IT's all cool.

- Mark