[linux-audio-user] noise from USB printer

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 20:29:24 EDT 2006

Ground loop problem? As a test only, what happens if you unplug power
on the printer, or turn the printer off?

If it is a ground loop issue - I did hear of this recently with a USB
hard drive I think - then possibly it's a cable issue or maybe you
could stuck a USB hub in the middle to break the loop? (Just
guessing!) ;-)

On the off chance it's something more nefarious, what are the relative
IRQ priorities of the USB controller vs. the sound card? I Assume the
sound card's IRQ has a high realtime priority? If not, and it's lower
than USB, then possibly there is some strange interaction. I've never
run into anything like that with USB, but I have with other devices
like a mouse, etc.

Hope this helps. (not holding my breath!) ;-)

Cheers,
Mark