[linux-audio-user] Music

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Sun Jul 23 09:39:54 EDT 2006

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 10:08:29AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 12:57:24AM -0600, Steve D wrote:
> >   http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-1.ogg
>
> Beautyful. Sounds very 'real' :)
>
> > http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/audio/ogg/stephen-doonan_blues-in-c-2.ogg
> >
> Much of this one sounds very familiar, like I listened to it already
> in the past. Not necessarily a bad thing. Feels like early morning,
> gentle sunshine, but interesting things could happen later on the day :)

Thank you Thorsten, Jordan for you comments. The Blues in C 2 may sound
familiar because I composed/recorded and posted the result to the Linux
Audio Users' email list before, maybe a year ago. Since that time,
several people asked me, since that piece was labeled "2," whether there
was a "blues in C" number 1, and one man in the Phillipines
heard an old MIDI file of the unfinished first "blues" and asked me for
an MP3 of it. Those queries made me dig up this 20 year old piece
and begin to work on it again.

I posted the links to both Blues in C's just because both pieces were
composed with the same original idea, to start with a strict, simple
1-4-5 blues progression and see how much I could do and how far I could
go with the progression while still maintaining and not discarding the
progression itself. ;-)

A photo of my original chord chart for Blues in C 2 (originally named
just "Steve's Blues") is at the following location if anyone cares to
see it. (The "7-6" that follows some of the chord names was my way of
indicating to myself that the voicing of that major or minor (depending
on "M" or "m") 7th chord should also contain the 6th. The minus sign did
not indicate a flatted-6th/augmented-5th.

http://www.xscd.com/pub/pics/steves-blues-1-chart.jpg

It was fun recording to MIDI format first, and then digital audio. I
think I'm going to do more of that. Speaking of which, is there anyone
who has a completed 2-4 minute Hydrogen or MIDI percussion track they
might be willing to share with me? I would love to improvise/compose
some piano music to someone else's drums. I have done this with
Thorsten, with digital-audio, but I would enjoy doing something similar
with a strictly MIDI or Hydrogen percussion track.

Best wishes,

Steve