[linux-audio-user] Re: Music: FM Casserole

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Tue Jul 25 07:32:13 EDT 2006

Many thanks for all the compliments, Andrew, Carlos, Will and Chris :D

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:48:21AM +0800, Chris McCormick wrote:

> > http://www.archive.org/details/fm_casserole
>
> Nice work! Awesome sounds. Can you tell me about your FM synthesis
> technique; specifically, how did you construct that cool sounding
> "plonky delay" bass that runs throughout the piece?

The basic concept is having separately MIDI controled FM operators.
One is made to play a single note, the other melodic stuff tuned to
result in good-sounding FM.
A third operator thrown in for more complex attack phases.

It's one patch with 3 MIDI inputs. 2 of them control FM operator
subpatches. The 3rd is used to trigger 2 things via different notes:
a sine-based kick used as influence to one operator, and a feedback
loop on an AmpV plugin.

There's also some delay applied for retriggering envelopes.

It's actualy quite a mess, so following Loki's request, I put the
the patches with the MusE song and MIDI export up at
http://thorwil.affenbande.org/fm_casserole.tar.bz2  (28.8 KB)

Sadly it will only work with one specific patched CVS version of Om,
which you can get at
http://www.scs.carleton.ca/~drobilla/files/om-synth-0.3.0pre.tar.bz2
Just don't ask Dave for any support. Actualy, best leave him alone
until next release ;)
The current SVN version of Ingen might be able to load the patches
so you can at least look at the structure, though.

--
Thorsten Wilms