[linux-audio-user] swami problems

Yves Potin yves_p at nnx.com
Tue Jul 25 13:01:56 EDT 2006

Le 25 Jul à 17:52, mlist ecrivait:

> This question is formulated in a way to be misunderstood. I'll try to clearify
> it:
> I'm meaning the character fonts for displaying the GUI of swami, not the
> soundfonts. I can't find Information, how to change this values (e.g. 4pt to
> 10pt).

        Sorry :). It's a FAQ about Debian / GTK 1, and as Ismael said it
should be corrected if you install the three transcoded fonts packages
(base, 75 dpi and 100 dpi). If it doesn't work, it's a bit a hassle but
you can put something like that :

style "user-font"
{
fontset="-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

        in a ~/.gtkrc, or better in /etc/gtk/gtk.iso-8859-1 (backup this
file before changing anything in it). It's explained for example there :
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=2186&sid=006b9fe606b30055e2b8507a948a35ea
or in Google with keywords « font size gtk 1 ».
        But again, normally, the transcoded fonts must resolve this issue.

> >         Do you see the green light lit in swami ?
> yes. Therefore the fluidsynth-support should be integrated.

        OK. Normally, you can click on this little green light to switch
fluidsynth on and off. This means swami is compiled with fluidsynth support.

> May be there is a wrong configuration in the options field.
>
> Here my configruation:
> Audio driver:
> - type = auto, alsa, jack, oss (no difference)

        I have jack.

> - device = empty field (standard)

        Yes. It's completely weird that a new fluidsynth doesn't apper in
qjackctl audio panel if you load a soundfont, see it appear in swami, and
then click on a sound in the soundfont panel. You need to click on a sound
again to reactivate the audio output each time you restart the drivers,
click on the green light or touch something in the config.

> MIDI-driver:
> - type = alsa (no entry in qjackctl)
> - type = alsa_seq (a new MIDI-input-device entry [fluidsynth] in
> qjackctl)

        Well if you connect a midi out to it, it should work but of course
won't produce any sound as long as a fluidsynth doesn't appear in
qjackctl's audio panel.
        Maybe also  remove the ~/.swami directory to get rid of previous
tries...

> Could there be a problem with udev?
>
> The main problem seems to be to get audio-out from the fluidsynth to alsa_pcm.
> This is done automatically when I start the qsynth-frontend for fluidsynth.
> There I get Audio-Ports to connect via qjackctl.

        For me, as long as fluidynth works with its qsynth frontend, the
only problem is in swami, not in the system, especially not in udev. Swami
and qsynth are interfaces to the same fluidsynth...
        Good luck,

Y.