[linux-audio-user] customize equalizer for XMMS?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jul 26 17:53:36 EDT 2006

Here's the background:
I'm using XMMS-1.2.10 on Fedora Core 5 to listen to various things,
mostly MP3 streams from Internet radio stations. I've a nice pair of
cans, Grado SR125, that are used for listening.

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr125.htm

The SR125 cans are nice, in fact, they're very analytical and quite
revealing. Not exactly best for listening to 128k streams, but hey,
that's what I got, that's what I use.

The problem:
The Grado cans are a bit too harsh for my ears. I very much prefer the
Sennheiser HD600 but I'd rather keep the HD600 at home and drag the
SR125 at the office to take a beating. The frequency response graph for
the SR125 shows some peaks in the mid-high range, which are probably
part of the cause for the harshness, and also a cliff in the low
frequencies:

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/all-headphones/grado-sr-125.php

I would like to re-create the negative of that graph in an equalizer and
apply it somewhere in the chain. I looked at the equalizer that comes
with XMMS but there doesn't seem to be a way to create a graph that's so
fine-grained. There's only a limited amount of controls that cannot seem
to be tweaked.

How do I create such a detailed equalizer graph and apply it to XMMS?

This machine does not run JACK and I do not intend to change that. I'd
like to keep it as simple as possible since, after all, the primary
purpose of the system is to do work, not listen to music.

Is there any player that can play MP3 streams and has a better
equalizer?

Any other ideas?

--
Florin Andrei