[linux-audio-user] X events making noise through soundcard.

Florian Paul Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 04:43:26 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 03:35:34 -0500
Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> Anyway, my question is what are these, and why are these produced? I
> know they respond to activity in the computer, mainly from X, or the
> video card, but why?

Bad shielding. The inside of a computer case is filled with
electromagnetic fields. These induce currents in your soundcards
circuits (mainly the DA's and output amplifiers), which are sometimes in
the audible range.

Oftentimes cheap soundcards also pick up noise from their direct
electrical connection to the system, the bus. In your case the PCI bus.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org