[linux-audio-user] OT: rsync mirror, scripting question

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 27 23:58:11 EDT 2006

--- Karl Hammar <karl at aspodata.se> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I use rsync and cron to mirror the /dev/sda array.
> > Mounted into that array is removable media that
> should
> > not be mirrored. I'm sure someone will see why
> $LABEL
> > is not being excluded much quicker than I can.
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > #mirror ~/clients, delete from destination
> anything
> > that doesn't exist at source
> > #do not mirror removable media; anything other
> than
> > /dev/sda
> > #kill with ctrl-c, --partial allows resuming of
> > session
> >
> > #find scsi device labels
> > for arg in `ls /dev/sd[b-d][1-16]`
> > do
> >    echo `/sbin/dumpe2fs -h $arg |grep Filesystem\
> > volume\ name` > /home/studio/.bin/syncExclude
> > done
> >
> > #use sed for character substitution
> > LABELS=`cat /home/studio/.bin/syncExclude |sed
> > 's/Filesystem volume name:\ //'`
> >
> > rsync --exclude=$LABELS --rsh=ssh --times --perms
> > --owner --verbose --progress --compress --delete
> > --recursive --stats --partial
> > --temp-dir=/media/mirror/tmp --bwlimit=0
> > /home/studio/clients/ /media/mirror/clients
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ron
>
> Why don't you simply use -x?

Because that could be to simple and direct. :) Thanks
for the hint.

Actually, I used the LABEL because I'm writing another
script that rsyncs removable media if local and remote
LABEL match. I think it's working. Maybe I'll post
that one up for review too. If you've got time I'd
love to have it torn into.

Thanks,

Ron