[linux-audio-user] usb-audio compatibe ATA devices

Rob lau at kudla.org
Fri Jun 2 12:30:57 EDT 2006

On Fri June 2 2006 12:24, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 07:20 +0000, c wrote:
> > there appear to be a number of USB ATA devices, with a rj-11
> > plug for analog telephone network. i'm wondering if any of
> > these are compatible with the usb-audio ALSA driver? USB
> ATA is a disk drive technology, what does it have to do with
> audio?

ATA also means "analog telephone adapter", in the telecom world.

Many ATA's (like the Linksys one we use with Vonage) are little
embedded boxes, sometimes with a built-in router or other
hardware, but they also make them as PC peripherals.  This is
what he is referring to.  Usually they show up as sound cards,
though I assume they have extra ioctl's or whatever for dealing
with things like detecting off-hook status, etc.

My only ATA experience with Linux was with PCI and ISA cards,
which did have drivers.

Rob