[linux-audio-user] Stretching with very high accuracy

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Thu Jun 8 17:42:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 11:15:03PM +0200, Nick Copeland wrote:
> What is the format of the files? Raw audio, WAV, etc? What is the rough
> content - if the signal is constant than sample insertion is not easy since
> you may not have periods of silence. If the signal does have silent periods
> then the solution may be a noise gate that inserts samples - this would be
> all but inaudible. There is no reason why this should not work from file to
> file with 'cat oldfile | <program> > newfile so should not need to have the
> lot in memory.

Given the very small amount of drift (53 ms / hour), we're talking about
inserting maybe 1 sample per 30000.  I submit that nobody will notice
if you just insert a copy of an adjacent sample, and if you
want better than that, interpolation between two adjacent
samples would be even smoother.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com