[linux-audio-user] Stretching with very high accuracy

Alex Polite notmyprivateemail at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 08:46:48 EDT 2006

On 6/8/06, Nick Copeland <nickycopeland at hotmail.com> wrote:
> What is the format of the files? Raw audio, WAV, etc? What is the rough
> content - if the signal is constant than sample insertion is not easy since
> you may not have periods of silence. If the signal does have silent periods
> then the solution may be a noise gate that inserts samples - this would be
> all but inaudible. There is no reason why this should not work from file to
> file with 'cat oldfile | <program> > newfile so should not need to have the
> lot in memory.

Sounds cool. It also sounds simple enough for me to put together on my
own. The files are in mono wav. I could pipe them through sox to get
them to raw if that's easier to manipulate.

But I think I need to read up a bit on audio formats. I need to know
how many bytes to read to get one sample, given a specific sample
rate. And if I convert them to raw I need to find out how to get them
back to wav with the right header attached. What are the best places
to read up on that?

alex

--
Alex Polite