[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

Esben Stien b0ef at esben-stien.name
Wed Jun 21 10:44:26 EDT 2006

Thomas Ilnseher <illth at gmx.de> writes:

> would anyone of you really spent € 280 for a 7800GT and use
> (imaginatory) open source drivers instead of just get the same
> performance from a €180 7600GT with closed source drivers ?

I would indeed do that and it's what I do today. This situation will
turn in our favor if even more people could see that this is the only
way we can make progress. By manifesting demand, more and more
pressure will be visible. If they don't bend on this subject, I'm sure
we'll get a hero in the form of a free hardware project.

> i have to confess that 3D gfx drivers (with decent performance) are
> such a complex thing that you can not demand them to be opensource.

Sorry, but that's non sense, in my opinion.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef at e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m