[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

Rob lau at kudla.org
Wed Jun 21 15:39:45 EDT 2006

On Wed June 21 2006 15:00, carmen wrote:
> i am kind of hoping Apple ditches their crusty Mach beast and
> switches to freeBSD. it could solve a lot of the problems of
> driver support on a free OS, especially among nicer audio and
> video hardware..oh and maybe make me think about getting a Mac
> again...

Of course, Apple hasn't been releasing its kernel source since
switching to Intel, and there's no reason they'd necessarily
start releasing it again after a switch to FreeBSD.... which
could negate the benefits to the free software world of them
using BSD to begin with.  They're entitled to keep it all to
themselves by the terms of the license.

Anyway, Mach/Darwin being open source previously never helped
free software developers to add support for the Radeon or
Geforce chipsets used for video in PPC Macs, so I don't have a
lot of hope for that whole theory in the first place.

Rob