[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Jun 21 15:56:01 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 15:25 -0400, Rob wrote:
> On Wed June 21 2006 14:35, Lee Revell wrote:
> > >   This topic should be entered in the LA* FAQ. However, the
> > > FAQ itself is woefully out of date and needs repaired
> > > (Jazz++ is one of the "most recommended" MIDI applications).
> > > Perhaps someone on this list could take a little time off
> > It seems like this stuff changes too rapidly to be in an FAQ.
> > The Nvidia situation has not changed in a while, but there's
> > ongoing reverse engineering work on ATI cards.
>
> I suggested this last time the outdated FAQ came up, but would it
> be possible to put the FAQ into a wiki?  (One with write access
> on request, not "anyone can add Chinese porno link farms"
> access.)  That would address both the "always outdated" and the
> "things moving too fast to update" problems.
>
> I don't even know where to find the FAQ.... google links me to
> http://linuxaudio.org/audio/lad/faq.php3 which is a 404.

I don't like Wikis because they tends to fill up with outdated or flat
out wrong information (see the ALSA wiki for an example).  People love
to post their half baked advice, but they never take it down when it
becomes obsolete.  We still have zillions of users who think they need
to create an .asoundrc to make ALSA work and they all end up copying the
same one without any idea what it does or whether it's needed.

Lee