[linux-audio-user] Re: which graphics card?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jun 22 04:16:30 EDT 2006

Hallo,
Kjetil S. Matheussen hat gesagt: // Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> Ron:
> >The G400 requires mga_hal which is a binary and blah,
> >freakin blah.

I don't think it requires any binary driver. I had a G400 before the
G450, which I'm using for about two years now, and even with that I've
never installed any binary-only module, just plain xfree86 (now xorg).

> Regarding matrox, heres my experiences with graphics cards
> on linux for audio use, posted half year ago:
> http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/12/0476.html
> Theres a typo there though: "Matrox 400+500" is supposed to
> be "Matrox 450+550". I'm afraid of those cards. They
> made my machines behave strangely, hanging, lots of cpu use.
> It might work for you though, but none of mine have been
> very pleasant, neither in windows or linux. You can find similar
> experiences on the net, you should search a bit.

Well, YMMV. ;) If you search a bit, you will also find opposite
experiences. For example, if you search the old Sound on Sound forum
for "matrox" you will find threads like this: http://tinyurl.com/ffatc
or this: http://tinyurl.com/qwatg (Windows users)

I think, as you get them for about 10 Euro or less, trying a Matrox
card is worth it.

Ciao