[linux-audio-user] Re: "on stage" pc

Carlo Capocasa capocasa at gmx.net
Fri Jun 23 14:53:24 EDT 2006

Sure. Same goal, some research done. I'd avoid USB because of latency,
but FireWire is great (low latency, large throughput, works with both
Apple and IBM style machines).

I like the ESI Quatafire (1/3 19"). Roland Edirol has a similar device
that is slightly cheaper, but offers a restriction on how many channels
you can use. (1/2 19")

Then there is the RME Multiface that uses either PCI or PCMCIA, and is
supposed to have superior quality at a superior price. (1/2 19")

Finally, for the ultra high end (my dream card), there is the Apogee
Ensemble FireWire that offers the famous Apogee D/A converters and four
Apogee Pre-Amps. This is my dream card. (19") It is untested with linux.

To go a bit lower in price, Echo offers the Indigo DJ with two stereo
outputs and no inputs as a PCMCIA card.

To run firewire cards on linux you need the FreeBob package, that has a
seperate backend to Jack to be used instead of ALSA.

Note all of this based on my research and is untested.

Carlo