[linux-audio-user] Re: LAU FAQ WIKI

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Jun 25 12:18:06 EDT 2006

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 04:59:52PM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Maybe it needs some shadows or layers to give it a more 3d effect?
>
> I would like to try a shadow to the page, but tell me how to realise
> that afterwards?
>

> Another:
> http://affenbande.org/%7Ethorwil/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/lau-wiki_03_i.png

This is a nice progression.

If you can figure out how to add a raised edge to the dark blue curve
around the penguin and down the left hand side of the grey box that
would add three layers. It's also easy to add a drop shadow behind the
"Linux Audio User Wiki" title to create more 3d effect.

However I still feel that it is very corporate at this point. The thing
is I can't think of a specific way to break out of that paradigm with
this design. Maybe the long edges need to be roughened up a little in an
'ar...tis..tic' kind of way. Think high school Goth rebellion or
abstract synthetic noise art.

----------
- If that's too "hard" (as in on the eyes not the brain) then maybe
something working with hiphop/street style or perhaps jazz fusion, Drum
n Bass or MIDI deconstructivism.

- Anyway the point I'm trying to make is we need to get inside the head
of a typical Linux audio user and find the common ground the makes us
all continue to use this platform and hopefully explain to people why
they should feel comfortable migrating without having to actually
explain it.

- Maybe we should be coming at it from the point of view that Linux is
the procrastinators best friend ;) ie if you want to find a way to spend
a lot of time getting something done then you should use Linux...

- Maybe we could take on a theme of Linux audio being for the hard
working thoughtful type who wants to see things changed at a fundamental
level of society and this is a way to contribute to that effort?

It's a tough one and I'm certain that it will not be a quick answer.

For Thorsten and anyone else who would like to contribute to the graphic
design process please be sure to let us know if the pressure to output a
work of art becomes too full on. As you can probably see already this
topic can get very pedantic.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.