[linux-audio-user] AMD64 question

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jun 27 11:47:09 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:50 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 09:38:34AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 09:44 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > > Thanks for those notes, Mark. The Java and Flash stuff does matter to
> > > me. Any comment on WINE and VST support ? Am I best advised then to
> > > simply run in 32-bit mode most of the time ?
> >
> > wine works on x86_64, but you can't load 32 bit plugins of any type into
> > a 64 bit host application (unless the plugin API doesn't use pointers
> > for anything and has all other type widths defined independently of the
> > CPU type).
> >
> > so basically, yes, 32 bit all the way if you want to use
> > firefox/audio/other plugins.
>
> uuuugh, I didn't know about the wine issues (and thus presumably fst).
> I don't have any vst plugins currently, but I might someday.

i wasn't clear enough. let me restate:

	* wine works just fine
	* you cannot load LADSPA, VST, or any other type of binary plugin that
was compiled for a 32 bit architecture into a 64 bit host.

the two issues are totally separate.

> Is it enough to just compile the host app (e.g. ardour) for 32?

no idea. i run my dual opterons in 64 bit mode only, and build all apps
that way too.