[linux-audio-user] Help setting up linux for high quality music listening via JACK

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 16:41:07 EDT 2006

On 6/28/06, Andrew Lester <martinblank64 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time on a mailing list, so I hope I'm doing it
> right. I am new to Linux, coming from windows. I need a low-latency
> sound interface with no resampling (ex: no software volume control, no
> software EQ, etc...), just like ASIO in windows. Somebody told me to
> look into JACK.

Welcome.

> I have an ESI Juli@ sound card, which seems to be supported under Linux.
> Using ALSA and xmms I can easily hear the sound quality is inferior to
> that of the sound quality in windows using winamp with an ASIO output
> plugin (and the official esi drivers). All my music is ripped in FLAC
> and I am using the Sennheiser HD650 headphones with a WooAudio 3 amp. I
> have jack installed, as well as jackd, and the jack output plugin for
> xmms. I have gotten basic sound out of jack by entering "jackd -d alsa"
> into the konsole and selecting the "jack audio connection kit" as the
> sound system and using the jack output plugin for xmms.

I use an RME card & external D/A's with Aqualung as a player running
under Jack. While not necessary at all for pure listening I run my
HDSP 9652 at 64/2 all day long without xruns.

I highly recommend you checking out Aqualung.

<SNIP>
And are there any newer music players
> that support FLAC and JACK output?

Aqualung. Sound quality is very good. All major and most minor file
formats supported. My collection is FLAC and ogg. Developers are very
available. Low volume mailing list.

Cheers,
Mark