[linux-audio-user] Smack ideas. What else do people want in a drum synth?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 21:14:28 EST 2006

On 3/2/06, Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am searching for ideas for what to add next to smack (
> smack.berlios.de ). Any ideas? I.e what drum sounds do you want
> synthed that smack doesn't do. Has anyone got ideas for other drum
> algos or patches etc? I've got to add something cool to the next
> release apart from just neatening it up... ;-)
>
> Loki

Hi,
   I've never used smack so take this with a grain of salt, but give
it info about time signature and then add some features to allow smack
to jam a bit. Let it add a few beats here and there, semi randomly,
but sensibly like a drummer would do. Let it add ghost notes like the
stick hitting a second time softly behind the first beat. It adds a
lot of realism. There was a program along time ago called (IIRC)
Jazz++ that had some sort of drum programming language that could do
this sort of stuff. While it sounds crazy I use Groove Agent which
does an excellent job of htis sort of thing.

   Just some thoughts.

cheers,
Mark