[linux-audio-user] DVD-Audio

cdr ix at replic.net
Fri Mar 3 13:53:25 EST 2006

On Fri Mar 03, 2006 at 10:20:34AM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 2 March 2006 at 15:18, "Maluvia" <terakuma at imbris.net> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand if any of today's DVD players, consumer
> > grade or higher, will actually play back [the DVD-Audio] format
> > at it's original resolution given the various copy-protection
> > schemes in place - particularly for the high-res PCM - and
> > whether these files can be output analog or digital or both.
> > Everything I've been reading about it seems to be pretty out of
> > date, and has only served to confuse me further.
>
> I have one DVD-Audio disc.

same, some 24/96 PCM remaster of Morton Subotnick stuff from the 1960s/70s

> It only plays in audiophile DVD players
> that specificly advertise that they play DVD-Audio.  It isn't
> recognized by computer DVD drives, nor by consumer DVD players.

pretty much the same. i finally got it playing, on win32 with some proprietary piece of warez, but only 16 of the 24 bits,  and only the first 2 of 4 channels. which is pretty pointless since it included an audio CD with that much anyways. :)