[linux-audio-user] agnula/demudi unable to acces the internet.

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Mon Mar 6 05:40:45 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:25:07 -0000
"Bal Dobe" <baldobe2000 at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Tim
>
> Maybe I am mistaken about using PPPoE, but that is what my router manual
> suggests should be my settings.
>
> I believe that demudi is not even able to see the router, which is
> connected via one of the network ports.
>
> How can I check to see what the other distros are doing?

The normal mode of operation with a modern router/modem combo is that
the router handles all the ADSL/PPPoE stuff. To your local lan it just
looks like a normal gateway. And usually one with a DHCP server in it,
too.

So, basically, if your router is setup correctly (they usually offer a
webinterface) and your ethernet card driver is loaded in linux (check
i.e. the output of ifconfig -a (as root)), all you need to do is

dhclient eth0

and after that you should be set. This command gives your box an ip
address, default router, etc. At least you should now be able to access
the router's webinterface to configure your username/pw etc. for the
ADSL connection. Usually the router sits on an address like 192.168.0.1
(check the manual).

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!