[linux-audio-user] Muse and MIDI Syncing stuff

Hiram Abiff domain.admin at online.ie
Mon Mar 6 15:43:44 EST 2006

greetings!

I've been messing with Muse a lot recently and there is one
thing I haven't been able to manage completely. and that
thing is, you've guessed it, MIDI syncing.

I own a DR-880 Drum Machine which I connect via a USB cable
to my computer and use it as a MIDI device in the qjackctl pathcbay

I then proceed to add the DR-880 in Midi Ports/Soft Synths in Muse, after
which Midi Ports/Soft Synths shows an Instrument named "generic midi"
and a device named "DR-880" followed by: "Play:Device or resource busy".
I don't understand why Muse says it's busy when nothing is playing
on it.

I set up MIDI Sync so that Muse is the Master and turn on "MIDI Clock"
and "MIDI Machine Control" and set the port to 3 'cause that's the port
I used in MIDI Ports/Soft Synths for the DR-880.

So, finally when I press play in Muse the DR-880 starts playing.
yay, great. But my enthusiasm didn't last for long as I was soon
to find out that when I skip playback in Muse to a certain point
or rewind it back the DR-880 keeps on playing.

And this is EXTREMELY annoying and discouraging, especially
for long songs where I have to play them from start each time
just to record a MIDI solo on my keyboard at the last minute
and it also makes music making tedious and boring.

Now, what am I missing? Is Muse supposed to work this way and only
sync with a MIDI device when played from the start? Or more probaly
I misconfigured or my lack of knowledge is causing this.

I kindly ask for any sort of help or some light on my dark path
of playing the song from start to end each time I want to
record a new part or edit it.

Note: I figured out that I could place markers in certain points
of the track where a pattern on the DR-880 is starting and then
manually rewind on the DR-880 to that part when I want to
start from a particular point in the song but this is also
time consuming and driving me mad.

Sorry for the extremely long mail but I am starting to lose
my patience with this particular issue.

Thnx, Hiram.

--
"I happen to think that computers are the most important thing to
happen to musicians since the invention of cat-gut which was a long

Robert Moog