[linux-audio-user] Re: slightly OT: supercomputer music

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Mar 7 17:57:15 EST 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 06:30:14PM +1100, Loki Davison wrote:

> physical modeling. It still chews TONS of cpu. However, supercomputer
> means non-realtime music (realtime and mpi? i don't think so.) and you
> can do physical modeling offline fine on a normal machine. So well,
> not very much.

There is more than MPI for super computing though.  There are still
vector machines, and there are still NUMA style machines like Origins,
Altixs, or those large POWER or SPARC machines.  I don't know that any
of those are suitable for realtime either, but unless the answer is
already known, they would be fun to explore for such purposes.

Also, I wonder about clusters that don't use MPI.  I seem to recall an
organ system that used a cluster of PCs for physical modelling.  Does
anyone know how the different nodes communicated?  I think it might have
been something like master->node->audio output, where each node only
modelled the pipes that it was responsible for outputing.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/