[linux-audio-user] Indigo IO problems

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 14:20:46 EST 2006

On 3/8/06, Jonny Stutters <jstutters at jeremah.co.uk> wrote:
> So it's definitely something to do with Linux on this laptop.
> To be honest I don't have any idea where to start with solving this
> problem so any help would be much appreciated.  I'm not keen to go down
> the new hardware route but if anyone does have reports of working
> configurations with this (or a similar) laptop that'd also be good.

I own the Echo Indigo output-only card, and I can confirm that this
works in Linux just fine.  However, it is not "out-of-the-box."  You
must install the ALSA firmware package for this card to work.
Otherwise, you won't see anything about the card in dmesg,
/var/log/whatever, etc.

Back when I was trying to get it to work, I emailed the author of the
driver.  His first name is Giuliano (forgive me if I misspelled it).
Here is a cut from the email he sent me:

On 01-Dec-2005 Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Well now I'm deep in the fight of trying to get it to work - hotplug
> will not load the firmware.  I cannot find your site anymore, so can
> you give me the quick instructions on the symlink that must be created
> for the firmware to load?  Anything I need to do before that, like
> load the module?

It's on http://www.webalice.it/g_pochini/ead .

You have to install the hotplug scripts (they should be installed in
/etc/hotplug/ and /etc/hotplug.d/), alsa-firmware and alsa-driver.
Also, there is an entry in /proc that must point to the main hotplug
script. A script in /etc/rc.d should set it up at boot time.

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Josh Lawrence wrote:

> Does all this happen (adding of the scripts in rc.d) during the
> firmware install?

No, alsa-firmware only installs the firmware in /lib/firmware .
You have to get the scripts from kernel.org or download the appropriate
package of you distro.
Also, check what /lib/firmware is. Usually the scripts (firmware-agent
IIRC) looks for firmware files in /lib/firmware , while alsa installs them
in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware . Fix it with a symlink.

--END CUT--

So to sum it up, get the firmware, make sure you have the hotplug
scripts (which you probably already do), and make sure you make a
simlink from /lib/firmware to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware.

Hope this helps,

Josh

--
Josh Lawrence