[linux-audio-user] A question of kernels

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Wed Mar 8 17:10:33 EST 2006

I have been reading about the -ck patchset
(http://ck.kolivas.org/faqs/audio_hints,
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ckolivas/kernel/) and was wondering if
it is or is not good for audio?

The reason I am asking is that Ubuntu's kernel is patched and a lot of
users rely on those patches, and although I have received a -rt patch
that applies to the Ubuntu kernel, it does give me many issues
(interestingly, only with RT apps like JACK and the like).

The Ubuntu kernel can be patched with -ck rather easily, and most
people that have tried it seem to say they have been results than
using the standard Ubuntu kernel (me excluded).

I saw that it uses CFQ as the default scheduler, but that can be
changed back to anticipatory easily enough.

I understand that Ingo's -rt patches are best, but is the -ck patchset
better than a vanilla kernel, for audio, as a medium? Why or why not?
Also, why does Studio To Go! use it if it is bad?

Thanks for any insight in advance.

Dana