[linux-audio-user] Debian and friends

Ruben Lopez rl1205 at sillylovesongs.com
Thu Mar 9 01:57:26 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 22:31:48 -0500 (EST), Lee A. Azzarello was like:

> 1) What Debian communities for audio software packaging are you a
> part of?

Does this list count?

> 2) How do you install new releases to your system?

Manually with apt-get (or sometimes synaptic). I have never felt comfortable with "apt-get-upgrade".

> 3) How often do you build your own kernel for audio systems?

I never have for audio work (yet).

> 4) If you're not running real Debian, what made you change?

I ran Demudi as my first audio system. It worked well (pretty much everything worked right off the bat) but it didn't perform as well as WinXp/Sonar on the same hardware. I felt I could get better performance with a leaner system so I built a Debian system from scratch (using netinstall and manually selecting/installing programs) which gets much better latency numbers than Demudi.

I could never get Ubuntu to work with my Delta 1010 cards. I understand that it does work, but I could not make it happen.

> 5) If you are running real Debian, have you upgraded to etch or sid?

I use etch - I tried sid but there were too many dependency/broken app problems with the software I wanted to use. In all the years I have used Debian (since 2.2 - potato?) I have rarely used stable.

Ruben

Debian Etch 2.6.15-1
Ardour 0.99-3+b1
AMD Athlon XP 2000