[linux-audio-user] Debian and friends

res0u2uc at verizon.net res0u2uc at verizon.net
Thu Mar 9 03:55:33 EST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:55:23PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Lee Revell hat gesagt: // Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 08:10 -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > > I find dealing with stock kernels to be a waste of time. It takes me
> > > five minutes to answer the make oldconfig questions.
> > >

> > Of course it takes forever if you read and try to understand every
> > question.  Just hit "enter" a bunch of times.
>
> But isn't that, what distribution maintainers normally do for me?
>
> ;)

The other polar extreme is to turn off all the stuff you
*think* you don't need, compile the kernel, then wonder
why it doesn't boot; which of the hundred options you
touched made the difference.

Fortunately the help is very helpful, and you can opt
for making just the module if you are uncertain....

In my latest effort, with 2.6.15.6, I did manage to get
rid of a lot of options. I think especially getting
rid of the legacy ISA, EISA, etc. stuff has made the
kernel boot much faster. And replacing hotplug with udev
has also vastly sped up the init process.

--
Joel Roth