[linux-audio-user] Line6 POD util? WAS: Anybody compiled Free V-Amp?

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Fri Mar 10 01:21:12 EST 2006

On 3/10/06, Sean Edwards <cybersean3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Dana Olson <dana at ubuntustudio.com> wrote:
>
> > Sean's email reminded me to ask if anyone knows of
> > any Linux utilities
> > to use with a Line6 POD or POD 2.0 for manipulating,
> > saving, and
> >
> > The pre-XT PODs don't have USB ports and the
> > software available from
> > Line6 is Java-based, but only for Mac and Windows.
> >
> > I have never reverse-engineered a file format
> > before, and I wouldn't
> > even know where to start, but there are lots of
> > files available to
> > download for the Line6 gear, and it would be nice to
> > be able to use
> > them. I'm not willing to install Windows to deal
> > with it.
> >
> > Even if there was an app to just modify and load and
> > save presets for
> > just Linux users, it wouldn't have to inter-operate
> > with existing
> > files to be useful. You only have so many hardware
> > preset slots to
> > use, and remembering the settings is impossible.
> >
> > So, does anyone know if such a beast exists, or if
> > anyone is working on one?
> >
> > Dana
>
> Are you sure it is for only Mac and Windows?  What is
> the required Java version?  If the minimum Java
> version required is older than 1.4.2, it could be the
> limitation is related a Java MIDI provider.  If this
> is the case, then Java 1.4.2 or newer may work;
> javax.media.sound.midi was finally fixed in 1.4.2.

I just downloaded and extracted (with Wine, which I didn't realize I
had installed.. but anyhow).

dana at polly:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Line6/Line 6 Edit$ java -jar
Line\ 6\ Edit.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:
libL6MIDIJava: libL6MIDIJava.so: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
   at java.lang.Runtime._load (libgcj.so.7)
   at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary (libgcj.so.7)
   at java.lang.System.loadLibrary (libgcj.so.7)
   at com.line6.l6midijava.L6MIDIJava.<clinit> (L6MIDIJava.java:75)
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass (libgcj.so.7)
   at Line6Edit.Launch (Line6Edit.java:1899)
   at Line6Edit.main (Line6Edit.java:1894)

So I installed Sun's Java, and this is what I get:
dana at polly:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Line6/Line 6 Edit$ java -jar
Line\ 6\ Edit.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
L6MIDIJava in java.library.path
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
        at com.line6.l6midijava.L6MIDIJava.<clinit>(L6MIDIJava.java:74)
        at Line6Edit.Launch(Line6Edit.java:1905)
        at Line6Edit.main(Line6Edit.java:1893)

So, looks to me like they're using their own DLL (shipped with the
Windows installer) and whatever Mac uses.

Back a ways, the main Hydrogen developer was going to work on trying
to hack something together, but I pinged him recently about it and he
hasn't had time, and likely won't.

It's too bad, because this device is really great, and I know a few
Linux users would benefit from an app like this for the POD. I might
try hacking something together, but I have a lot to learn, starting
with C/C++. :P

Dana