[linux-audio-user] Re: Marketing Free Music

James McDermott jamesmichaelmcdermott at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 10:21:01 EST 2006

> Digg for music would be cool! I don't know that Digg's source is
available, but it sure would be easily adaptable, I think. We'd still
need a big host for it though.

This is a great idea. We need the links, so that anyone who discovers
some good freemusic can easily find more; and we need the logos
(though they'll be optional of course) for the brand-recognition
factor; and we need the network effects, so that users bring in more
users and better recommendations (or however it works).

I don't know if we really need a big server - LinuxAudio.org (if the
freemusic digg is to be there) wouldn't have to host the files, just
provide links to everyone's home page, or archive.org, or googlepages,
or whatever.

On the subject of mp3s v ogg, I think it'd be great to have a mixture,
because there *will*, if the initiative is even slightly successful,
be lots of clueless users and people with hardware that can't play
ogg. But there will inevitably be a strong ogg presence, and having a
proportion of oggs without corresponding mp3s will create a strong
try-ogg-out effect.

James

PS I have 3 fans, including girlfriend & brothers.