[linux-audio-user] Re: POLL: Marketing Free Music

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Sat Mar 11 16:19:37 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 17:16 +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> >I have.
> >

> >>Looks very promising!
> >>It looks like they already have that infrastructure
> >>set up?
> >>I'd never heard of that site - thanks for the link!
> >>Looks like they're using the 'tags' idea already.
> >>

> >>From their page titled, Our rules;
> >http://www.jamendo.com/us/static/engagements/
> >"We are committed to exclude all "explicit" content
> >(sex, racism, …) both in the music and in the
> >advertisements."
> >
> >A predominant theme behind this conversation has been
> >Freedom. Yes or no? The statement from the Jamendo
> >rules is not something that anyone who values freedom
> >would ever enforce upon anyone. Unless that person is
> >just to ignorant or naive to get it. To the defense of
> >the Jamendo organizers maybe they are just dumbasses
> >and not nazi's, fascists or fucking pigs of whatever
> >flavor is in favor. And that's about the best defense
> >they deserve.
> >
> >There is no integrity in censorship. The Jamendo crew
> >can kiss my American ass.
> >
> >ron

> >Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> >http://mail.yahoo.com
> >

> So you're telling us that you can value freedom and be a racist or a
> sexist at the same time?
>
> And you really believe that if you want you can administer a service
> like jamendo avoiding any kind of censorship without considering any
> legality issue?
>
> I'm trying to be calm.

    Stay calm ;-)  I tend to agree with Ron, censorship is censorship,
period.  Freedom of speech is only meaningful if it covers all speech -
especially speech you or I don't agree with.  I don't like racists but
they have the right to be obnoxious assholes if they want to ;-)  (and I
have the right to call them obnoxious assholes which I'm sure is
offensive to the racists ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744