[ardour-users] [linux-audio-user] Re: expander/gate plugin?

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at doink.com
Sat Mar 11 18:16:25 EST 2006

On 11 March 2006 at 9:18, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:

> > > Also, the package contains an expander called: SE4.
> >
> > How can I hook up this two input, two output expander in a mono chain?
>
> stick a mono->stereo plugin (there is one) into the chain first.
> in the future (the glorious future) ardour will do this for you.

I was going to do that, but really wanted to stay mono, and
didn't want to mix the stereo back to a mono buss.

Instead, I found a "TAP Dynamics" plugin, which can be configured
as an expander.  The "Gate" plugin was just a bit off from what I
was looking for.  I didn't try a "Gate" after the expander, which
might have been OK.  So my chain ended up "SC1"(pre) -> "TAP
Dynamics"(pre) -> "TAP Equalizer"(post).  After a bit of work
my drum mix sounds _as_ good as I've ever heard my drums sound,
including the work I've done in the past in "real" studios.  I'm
still aiming for _better_ than I've heard my own drums, next song
for sure.  ;-)

--
Kevin