[linux-audio-user] Re: Making music a product

Maluvia terakuma at imbris.net
Sun Mar 12 13:53:21 EST 2006

>This last post is just an experimental brain-dump... I want to be able
>to support myself from the music I make (or related) and I've been
>theorizing that certain content/philosophy must be present in music in
>order to do that... Specifically with regards to 'you oriented' and 'I
>oriented music'.
>
>But I'm not comfortable with the theory myself yet. It is probably dead
>wrong, but I want to use it to find the right one, and that's why it's
>here!

Carlo

I believe I understand your premise, but I don't think a certain
'content/philosophy' is necessary to accomplish this purpose.
I think all you need to do is make music that people value as much as they
do their food, their house, their clothes or anything else they place
monetary value on - and this could be *any* kind of music.

There are many people who cannot imagine life without music, and even some
who would go hungry in order to afford to buy tickets to a concert, for
example.
It is *these* people you need to find and share your music with.
And the *kind* of music people value to this extent could be anything and
everything.
Whatever gives people joy - makes them laugh, makes them cry, makes them
angry, makes them want to dance - or just makes them want to go on living.

I don't think it needs a particular message or focus - in fact, I think
that would be very counterproductive.
It is when you play from your heart - make music that *you* love - music
that inspires *you* and is an expression of your own essence - that people
will respond the most favorably.

Small example: my husband was once playing in a café - receiving only tip
jar proceeds.
A man from the local Baha'i community heard him and liked the music so much
that he spontaneously ordered 20 CDs to sell at cost at his Baha'i center -
just because he felt the music was inspiring and befitting to that
environment.
Those are the kind of connections you need to make.

And that illustrates another point as well - that you've got to get out
there and connect with people personally in order to achieve what your are
talking about.
That is the downside to internet-only music.
People are willing to open their purse - or at least throw you a crust of
bread - when you are there in front of them performing your music live,
whereas if they just downloaded it online they probably wouldn't even think
about tipping for it.
When the music is live - the listeners get to participate and be involved
in it - it becomes a cooperative and shared experience - and that is
something that people value very highly.
I don't think anything will ever replace live music.

Make the music that *you* love and find the people who resonate to that and
love it as well.
I think that is the secret.

- Maluvia