[linux-audio-user] Re: dj-ing hardware under Linux

Lee A. Azzarello lee at rockingtiger.com
Mon Mar 13 14:20:02 EST 2006

----- Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> Over here in Thailand many DJ's have final scratch and use 300kb mp3s
> for an entire set, I hear it's happening more in Europe and the US
> too.

I would lean towards FLAC files for performance on large PA systems, though I don't know the CPU benchmarks for decoding FLAC versus extremely high bitrate mp3. I have a feeling decoding vorbis needs more CPU than either.

> Part of the specs require adding midi cc support to jackEQ.

How do you feel about QAmix? It controls the sound card's hardware, therefore you get all the advantages of ALSA's hardware support. With a Delta 1010LT this gives lots of options. Obviously MIDI control on a software mixer like jackEQ would have even more possibilities but I wouldn't want to ignore the option of hardware mixer control via MIDI.

-lee