[linux-audio-user] Re: dj-ing hardware under Linux

Lee A. Azzarello lee at rockingtiger.com
Mon Mar 13 19:11:28 EST 2006

----- Loki Davison <loki.davison at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/14/06, Carlo Capocasa <capocasa at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > > eq/levels. To some up, YOU NEED A MIXER. I recommend a second
> hand
> >
> > What's wrong with JackEQ?
> >
> > Carlo
> >

> Nothing if you have hardware to control it with. As i said before,
> either a pile of expensive midi hardware or a normal dj mixer that is
> actually much better for the job than a pile of expensive midi
> hardware.

I believe the ergonomics of a DJ mixer are good for those who need to make very fast cuts in realtime, but not necessarily any different for simple crossfades or EQ tweaks on a number of channels. The other advantage of using an external controller talking to software is you can keep the quality of your D/A converter if you like the way it sounds, rather than using the electronics in an analog DJ mixer.

-lee