[linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] VxPocket and hotplug - need help getting it working

Asbjørn Sæbø asbjs at stud.ntnu.no
Tue Mar 14 09:52:33 EST 2006

(I am cc-ing the linux audio user list, in the hope of broadening
the audience and reaching someone able to help me sort this out.)

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:02:56PM +0100, Asbjørn Sæbø wrote:
> I am trying to get a Digigram VxPocket sound card working, and really
> need some advice on how to proceed.
> [Rest of previous post far below.]

In addition to what I have done before (see below), I have now created a
/etc/pcmcia/vxpocket.conf according to the description at the bottom of
the alsa-project page for the vxpocket card.  And I have added the
necessary lines to /etc/modutils/alsa-base, and run update-modules.

The visible results of this is that
* The vx-* modules now seem to be loaded at boot
* The card is still not recognized by alsa (it is not listed in
  /proc/asound/cards, and alsaconf does not find it).
* cardinfo no longer says "unsupported card", but "empty".  It does
  however list "IO 0x100-0x10f" and "IRQ 5" (or "IRQ 9d" or "IRQ o"(?)).
* "cardctl info" and "cardctl ident" hang when they come to the socket
  containing the card.
* Restarting the pcmcia service gives the following error messages:

snegle:~# invoke-rc.d pcmcia restart
Shutting down PCMCIA services: /etc/init.d/pcmcia: line 173: kill: (4040) - No such process
done.
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr[4540]: watching 2 sockets
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0x100-0x4ff: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0x800-0x8ff: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0xc00-0xcff: Device or resource busy
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: memory 0xc0000-0xfffff: Input/output error
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: Input/output error
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff: Input/output error
cardmgr[4540]: could not adjust resource: IO ports 0xa00-0xaff: Device or resource busy
done.

I am beginning to suspect that I am up against some pcmcia bug.  And I
am, at least for now, out of ideas of what to try next to get this card
working.  Suggestions, advice and tips are very welcome!

Asbjørn