[linux-audio-user] Free Music Factory

Tim Howard tdhoward at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 16:49:56 EST 2006

James wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Mar, 2006 at 08:30PM +0200, Juhana Sadeharju spake thus:
> >
> > I have this idea:
> >
> > We could have an organized community where volunteer musicians
> > make music similar to the top commercial songs. When the idea
> > works, one may get top pop music for free.
>
> I think it comes down to a question that was discussed earlier on the
> list: why do we make music?
>
> All of us are pretty much in favour of CC-style licenses, so we're not
> doing it for money.
>
> The two main reasons seemed to be:
>
> 1. you feel the urge, you have something in your head, you want to
> express yourself
>
> 2. you want people to hear your music, it's satisfying to know people
> like your output, you enjoy listening to music and want to give
> soemthing back
>
> All of us appear to have both reasons, with varying epmphasis one each
> one.
>
> The problem is, your Free Music Factory idea doesn't really scratch
> either of those itches very well.

That's a good point.  A "factory" isn't exactly the type of place
where people are the most creative, happy, and stress-free.

> Reason 1 is obviously at odds with it.  Reason 2 I think doesn't fit
> the factory plan because if you're after pure emulation it's not
> really *your* music.  You might as well just turn on the radio.

Emulation for the sake of emulation is pretty much the opposite of
creativity, which is what we are trying to promote here, right?  (Of
course, if your doing it for the sake of parody, that's another
story...)

> This isn't really meant as a flame and I'd hate to be seen as trying
> to squash creative thinking.  On the other hand, I'm not a fan of the
> idea and I'm just adding my opinion to the pot.

One point about the whole idea that I REALLY LIKE is the idea of
collaboration on a much broader basis.  I think it is so cool when
people post a drum track and say, "Could someone add a bass track to
this?  I'm no good at bass..."  Or maybe define a general direction
and mood for the song to go into, and whoever wants to get on board is
welcome.  Then you would have musicians who actually _want_ to play
this music helping out with the recording of a song.

I think there is already a place where we can do this, though...  It's
called the Linux Audio Users Group.  ;-)

-Tim