[linux-audio-user] Debian and friends

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Mar 16 18:14:31 EST 2006

I guess I _have_ to answer this one.

Lee A. Azzarello wrote:
> Over the last few days I've been having quite a few problems with Debian stable and jack applications. I don't want to run sid or etch because I like to work with stable libraries and a base system. I'm comfortable doing backports and building packages myself. But lately I have been building so many packages myself I'm begining to feel like I'm making a little mini distro in my local apt repository. This got me thinking about potential alternatives to running sarge. So If you'll humor me for a minute, I'd like to take a little poll. This only concerns users/developers of real Debian and variants that pull from the official archives.
>
> 1) What Debian communities for audio software packaging are you a part of?

A/DeMuDi & Debian Multimedia Project

> 2) How do you install new releases to your system?

apt-get (synaptic actually)

> 3) How often do you build your own kernel for audio systems?

I don't, I let Free do it.

> 4) If you're not running real Debian, what made you change?

I _am_ running real Debian ;)

> 5) If you are running real Debian, have you upgraded to etch or sid?

No, I'm running stable + A/DeMuDi-1.2.1 + backports. I'm really close to
upgrading to etch + A/DeMuDi-1.3.1 as the situation is getting silly. I
think you know what I mean already. My system is getting like a Military
Academy. One of the spoof ones. However, I can still make music on it,
so I'm resisting the temptation to upgrade. JACK works perfectly here.

cheers,

tim hall