[linux-audio-user] Upgrading AGNULA has hobbled ALSA

mrmoo1231@ahooyay.omcay mrmoo1231 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 23:11:33 EST 2006

I'm not sure where to begin--

A few weeks ago, in order to get some plugins working
on swami, I was forced by a dependency loop to try:
apt-get -o Apt::Force-Loopbreak=1 -f upgrade

which mostly succeeded in upgrading my Agnula.

But not ALSA has gone whacko on me, so that I
basically have to reconfigure it every time I restart
(which is more often than I'd like, 'cause my wife
wants to use Windows).

The first thing I noticed was that when starting
something simple like xmms, or even sox at the
commandline, I would get a message like "no device
found."  So I looked on the alsa-project website for
info. about installing ALSA for my card, which takes
the ensoniq 1371 drivers.

Well, after poring over the troubleshooting info.
about what to do when I get no sound, I tried
rerunning alsaconf, and then
modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd-mixer-oss
modproble snd-seq-oss.

For a few boots, this was working.  After I did the
above, I'd start alsamixer, which of course had
reverted back to all muted channels and the levels all
down at zero.

But now, not even the modprobe steps do anything, and
when I try and run alsaconf (as root) it detects my
card, tells me that snd-ens1371 is configured, but
tells me about all these unresolved symbols:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-multimedia-686/kernel/drivers/media/radio/miropcm20.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-multimedia-686/alsa/snd-pdaudiocf.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-multimedia-686/alsa/snd-vx-cs.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-multimedia-686/alsa/snd-vxp440.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.25-1-multimedia-686/alsa/snd-vxpocket.o

and then the message that restoring the mixer settings
has failed.

What's going wrong?  And why is ALSA forgetting its
configuration between boots?  ARRRGGH!

Thanks for any help,
Mark