[linux-audio-user] "Multimedia Ubuntu"

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 14:52:37 EST 2006

> Sure, I just don't see why a new Ubuntu flavor is required, rather than
> actually finding and fixing the issues with the main branch.  It's not
> like we live in a closed source world where it's Microsoft or Apple's
> way or the highway...

One of Ubuntu's bragging rights is its ease of setup and install, even
easier than Windows in most cases I have used it.  Requiring tweaks in
order to use the audio as compared to a standard distro is part of what
can take away from that.

I dont really think it is the same thing as say, a completly different
distro.  It is just precustomized versions of the distro for specific
purposes, meaning I dont have to put in these tweaks every time.

I dont know enough about kernel development or the hundreds of other
topics that it can cover to give a pro/con version of doing the audio
flavor vs standard flavor myself, maybe others can do it.  But I do know
that while it is possible to create one distro that does it all, you
tend to end up with huge amounts of bloat doing this, and it causes more
problems than it solves IMO rather than keeping small concentrated
flavors for what are essentially niche markets that fit that niche VERY
well.

     Seablade