[linux-audio-user] "Multimedia Ubuntu"

Lee A. Azzarello lee at rockingtiger.com
Fri Mar 17 14:59:39 EST 2006

----- Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont know enough about kernel development or the hundreds of other
> topics that it can cover to give a pro/con version of doing the audio
>
> flavor vs standard flavor myself, maybe others can do it.  But I do
> know
> that while it is possible to create one distro that does it all, you
> tend to end up with huge amounts of bloat doing this, and it causes
> more
> problems than it solves IMO rather than keeping small concentrated
> flavors for what are essentially niche markets that fit that niche
> VERY
> well.

This is misinformation. A distribution with a large selection of packages does not equal bloated. The way the user configures said distribution can make /that specific system/ bloated but this is not the same as the base system being bloated. A base Debian stable installation with audio support and a graphical interface is under 400 megs. Don't install X and you're down to 140 megs. Make a custom kernel and remove modules not on your hardware and things get even smaller.

-lee