[linux-audio-user] "Multimedia Ubuntu"

Dana Olson dana at ubuntustudio.com
Fri Mar 17 15:33:08 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 14:20 -0600, Matt Henley wrote:

> > > One of Ubuntu's bragging rights is its ease of setup and install, even
> > > easier than Windows in most cases I have used it.  Requiring tweaks in
> > > order to use the audio as compared to a standard distro is part of what
> > > can take away from that.
> > >
> > > I dont really think it is the same thing as say, a completly different
> > > distro.  It is just precustomized versions of the distro for specific
> > > purposes, meaning I dont have to put in these tweaks every time.
> > >

> > I just think it's much easier for developers and users to fix the
> > mainline distro so these tweaks are no longer needed than to create a
> > new project.
> >
> > Lee
> >

> But what if "fixing" the mainline distro degrades the performance for
> things other than multimedia?

Look, we don't have the specifics yet. Mark considers Kubuntu to be an
Ubuntu derivative as well, so who is to say that Mubuntu or whatever
they end up calling it won't be also the same way? Basically a
meta-package with an alternate ISO? I can't see them doing it any other
way than this, because it would be kinda dumb. But the point is, WE
DON'T KNOW YET.

Yes, it will require a better kernel, and Mark said in the past "don't
worry, you'll get it" so I'm sure this is factored in.

"Fixing" the main Ubuntu distro won't degrade performance for anything.
Simple, you don't install the audio app stuff if you don't want it. Even
if you do install it, it won't do more than take up your hard drive
space.

The kernel is another story, and it won't ever become standard in the
default unless it is accepted into the official kernel branch.

So. Let's just wait and see...

Dana