[linux-audio-user] Specimen and 64 bits software

cdr ix at replic.net
Fri Mar 17 15:47:11 EST 2006

On Fri Mar 17, 2006 at 09:31:52PM +0100, Yves Potin wrote:

>         Hello.
>         I'm about to switch from Debian Sid 32 bits to Gentoo 64 bits. I
> have noticed ( http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=specimen ) that
> Specimen isn't provided as a package in Gentoo 64 bits. So I have two
> questions :
>         - Does the source code of Specimen compile and permits a normally
> usable Specimen under a 64 Bits OS ? (and, if it's the case, does anybody
> know why there's no gentoo package ? Lack of interest from any developper
> or something, as quite any other audio apps seems to be avalaible under
> gentoo ?).

grep KEYW `equery which specimen`
KEYWORDS="-amd64 ~ppc sparc x86"

since its not just lacking amd64 entirely (this only seems to happen for obscure ruby packages), and has a specifically negative amd64, this means its broken. a quick run to http://bugs.gentoo.org, and search for specimen, reveals some updated ebuild for 0.5.1, and a comment: #-amd64: 0.4.5: int/pointer casting.

if you want to try installing it anyways, nano `equery which specimen` and change the -amd64 to amd64, emerge --digest specimen, and if it works, make a comment on the bug report that its fixed on amd64 (you proably want to grab the 0.5.1 ebuild before doing this)

>         - If I setup a 32 bits chroot under Gentoo 64 bits as it's
> documented here :
> ( http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=2
> ), will Specimen be usable just as a normal jackd-enabled software, with
> jackd running in the 64 bits environment ? More generally, when
> encountering an audio software which cannot run in 64 bits, how does it
> work with 64 bits jackd ?

64bit jackd can not talk to 32bit apps, afaik. you could run a 32bit jackd, and link with the other via UDP. or try the ALSA-lib plug:jack, or try using it in 64bit mode and figure out if theres any bugs ( SClang and PD would both require significant rewriting to work on 64bit mode due to their "VM"-y nature that expects ints to be the same size as pointers, but most everything else works fine )