[linux-audio-user] ardour replacement for sonar?

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 14:29:30 EST 2006

On 3/18/06, thewade <pdman at aproximation.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am loving ardour! I am trying to figure out how much of a replacement
> for Cakewalk Sonar Ardour is, and I am hoping you can help me (BTW I am
> not really using MIDI at all, just wav files).

Depends on what features you need. I have a friend asking me the same
type of questions. For instance he wants to mix 5.1, and although that
is possible in ardour, it's a bit of a pain to do right now.

> 1. Can you apply enveloped effects to a track within ardour (without
> bouncing to a track, applying your effects in audacity or something,
> then reimporting and crossfading)?

Yes, but why would you want to do that in audacity? You can automate
any plugin's settings using an automation track and it will run the
plugin in real time. It isn't applied until you bounce the track.

> 2. When I try to draw a volume envelope I can only add new nodes, I
> can't seem to just move existing ones.

Make sure you are in gain mode. Also, be aware that you can set volume
curves for both regions and tracks. If you set the curve in the track,
the curve will stay put when you move the region, but if you set the
curve in the region, the curves will move around with the region. The
track curves are the ones that can be automated.