[linux-audio-user] "Multimedia Ubuntu"

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Mar 21 05:03:19 EST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 12:54 -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
>
>>On 3/17/06, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
>>
>>>OSX and Windows don't need a "Multimedia edition" why should Linux?
>>
>>Umm, and?  As a former long-time Windows user, I can tell you that
>>they sure could use it.  Just because OSX and Microsoft don't do
>>something, why should that mean the Linux community shouldn't as well?
>>

> Give me one good reason to have a separate distro for multimedia rather
> than using the main branch.  I can think of many reasons not to.

The reasons were to do with security and optimisation issues. Also it's
nice to have a single CD installer. However, a separate multimedia
distro is a _workaround_ for issues which have mostly been fixed.
A/DeMuDi is now being integrated back into Debian, but will continue
making separate releases until such time as everything works ootb in
Debian without conflicting with other users' needs or there is still a
perceived need and Free is still motivated to do so. I don't think we're
ready to drop the separate distro yet.

cheers,

tim hall