[linux-audio-user] Re: Companies Refusing to Release/Permit Linux Drivers

Chris Bannister mockingbird at ihug.co.nz
Tue Mar 21 06:59:10 EST 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 11:35:22AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >Thanks for the insight. When I worked for Telecom, I commisioned some
> >broadcast circuits from the local radio station and there were a few
> > old broadcast magazines from the 60's and they were interesting
> > reading, esp the techniques that were used with what little was
> > available at the time.
>
> Don't knock it too loudly, the tv transmitter I help maintain yet, an

I wasn't knocking it. :-)

> old water cooled GE TT42-TF3a combo was originally made about then.
> And it still makes 'good pictures' yet today.  But thats part of the

You can get some nasty "belts" off those tubes. :-)

Some (most?) of the records from the 60's sound a lot better than some
you can get today, which seems surprising considering the technology
available. Maybe less is better than more :-)

Maybe there was so much to look out for, like 'birds nests', 'earth
loops' etc., that one had to be particulary diligent?

Or maybe the components of today are manufactured with 'cheaper'
materials?

--
Chris.
======